We are delighted to announce the second Winter School on Underwater Network Simulations and experimentation (UNWiS). Like last year, it will take place in Padova during the Venice carnival: given that Venice can be reached in 25 minutes by train, we warmly recommend you to stay one day longer and join the party.
The winter school will start in late January 2024 in Padova, Italy, and it is organized by the Department of Information Engineering of the University of Padova and Wireless and More srl. UNWiS will last one week and will focus on the DESERT Underwater network simulation and experimentation framework. Every day will be split into two parts, a theoretical part where the students will attend classes on the concepts and procedures to perform network simulations and develop software modules. The second part is experimental, it will be focussed on the implementation of the code, on running simulation experiments, and on analyzing the results.
Two tracks will be available:
- The basic track, warmly recommended for first year PhD students and professionals that are approaching the field of underwater networks for the first time. We will address the basics of communication networks analysis, linux bash and basics of C++, to then learn how to design, simulate and realize an underwater network simulation.
- The advanced track, for experienced attendees with basic knowledge of linux bash, communication networks, and underwater networks. Underwater multimodal networks most advanced elements will be addressed. There will be a simulation of a sea test, that will be implemented in the nearby river (Piovego) if the weather conditions are favorable.
About the venue:
- Where: University of Padova, Department of Information Engineering (DEI), via G. Gradenigo 6/b 35131, Padova, Italy.
- When: 29th of January (early morning) – 2nd of February 2024 (late afternoon).
- Point of Contact: email@example.com, with email subject “[UNWiS]”.
- How to reach Padova: Padova’s nearest airports are Venice Marco Polo (VCE) and Treviso Canova (TSF), both at a driving distance of 45 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes with public transportation).
Please find here some directions for public transportation:
Please find here a list of some accommodation options:
- What to visit: Padova is a wonderful city with many historical sites, including the University (801 years old). In addition, it is located only half an hour from Venice, one hour from Verona and Garda Lake, and two hours from the Dolomites.
- Required equipment (for all): laptop with GNU/Linux OS (recommended Ubuntu LTS), a Linux virtual machine. A WiFi connection will be available to all participants
- Nice to have (required for the advanced track): basic knowledge of C,C++ and GNU/Linux OS.
- Used tools: DESERT Underwater is a complete set of public C++ libraries that extend the NS-MIRACLE simulator to support the design and implementation of underwater network protocols. Get more information on DESERT Underwater at https://desert-underwater.dei.unipd.it
Registration page: http://www.wirelessandmore.it/unwis.html, the DEALINE is November 30.
The UNWiS agenda is coming soon, and will be published at this link.
If you are willing to attend UNWiS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (email subject “[UNWiS]”) for any information.
The organizers and the whole DESERT Underwater team